+view boring mobile edition

The Unforgivenz?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 comments powered by disqus




























There are 2 letters of apology that caught the nation's interest over the past days. One is from the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) and one, from Rafa Santos. 
     CBCP was caught in a controversy over bishops requesting SUVs and Rafa Santos over his tactless remark regarding cat food for theatre people. Here's the full text of their letters (as well, my illogical outburst):

















CBCP'S PASTORAL STATEMENT:
Our Dear People of God,
Our Mother Church has been deeply wounded by the controversies in the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office that have erupted in the past two weeks. Some members of the church believe in the innocence of the bishops involved in the issue, while others do not. There is no doubt that everywhere in the Church there is great sorrow. We your pastors are one with you. As shepherds struggling to love you like Jesus, the Good Shepherd, we are sorry for the pain and the sadness that these events have brought upon you.
We are saddened that many of you especially the youth, the poor our Basic Ecclesial Communities have been confused because of the apparent inconsistency of our actions with our pastoral Preaching.
As we express our sadness, we also ask you to be slow in judgement and to conscientiously seek the whole truth behind the controversy. Let us seek the truth always in charity.
We assure you that the bishops concerned are ready to accept responsibility for their actions and to face the consequences if it would be proven unlawful, anomalous and unconstitutional. We assure that their actions were done without malice. Out of their sincere desire to help their people they failed to consider the pitfalls to which these grants could possibly lead them. They have also expressed their readiness to do everything that is necessary to heal this wound so we can all move forward in hope.
We also assure you, our beloved people that we shall re-examine the manner of our collaboration with government agencies for purposes of helping the poor making sure that pastoral sensibilities are respected and the highest ethical standards are observed. We shall examine our values in light of our vocation to be disciples of Jesus Christ. We commit ourselves to the long journey of personal and social transformation required of all disciples of the Lord. We plead with you to walk with us in this path of constant renewal.
We express again our deep sorrow for the pain that the recent events have brought to you our beloved people. The good Lord knows our love for you. The words of the psalmist come to our mind. “My sacrifice, a contrite spirit, A humbled, contrite heart you will not spurn” (Ps 51). As the same Psalmist addresses the Lord, we take his words as our own to encourage and challenge us: “Indeed you love truth in the heart; then in the secret of my heart teach me wisdom.”
For the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines,
Signed
Nereo P. Odchimar, D.D.
Bishop of Tandag
President CBCP
July 11, 2011

AND HERE IS RAFA SANTOS' EMAIL OF APOLOGY:

Dear All,

My name is rafa santos. I recently taped an interview for an ANC show that, as you may have heard, went about as terrible as it could have gone for me. I made an unfortunate joke about what it is like to work with theater actors; a remark which offended countless artists the industry over. I do not defend this comment in any way. Even in the context of poor, ill-advised humor, my statement made light of an art that many among us hold dear and sacred.

Misguided comedy aside, what I meant to infer was that theater actors, in my estimation, are the pinnacle of the thespian craft. They do not put on airs or show up late or complain about the quality of the food or condition of the set and come in day after day after day for little to no money all for their love of acting and performance. It is the work that they feed on: the opportunity to bring life to a nebulous character on an inanimate page.

It was never my intention to look down on or demean stage actors in any shape or form. Some of my best experiences as a director are
derived from the pleasure of working with theater people; to be able to feel the dedication and devotion they possess towards their art and to somehow allow that same commitment to diffuse into myself.

One of my dearest friends, my neighbor and actress in my movie, Bea Garcia, is herself a shining example of the passion of which i speak. It pains me to know I've hurt her so deeply in assaulting the craft that she loves so much.

It is with a clear mind and heavy heart that I extend my heartfelt apology. I have offended any of you, I am sorry. If I've offended anyone you love, I take the blame. If any of you feel sorry for me, please don't. I built my own coffin of words and nailed it shut with insolence.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I don't expect to be forgiven, but I do hope my family is treated kindly.

Sincerely,

Rafa Santos

First, the letter from the CBCP… They assure us that "their actions were done without malice." That they do it "out of their sincere desire to help their people". Really? SUVs to help the people? Despite the well-known contradiction that says "common sense is not common", I am at lost here, my dear bishops. Aside from the fact that it's not helping the image, I honestly think that these luxury vehicles are not also giving someone a leg up. If you requested for a motorcycle, we can see the logic. You can go to places twice as fast to your people because it can beat any traffic. Or a chopper for the same reason on traffic. Perhaps, a bus! For it can carry more goods and loads. But a pajero? Of course, the convenience. 

     Now, the other line, "their actions were done without malice". Are you really saying sorry? This is a whitewash! An apology letter that doesn't say sorry. What should you be sorry about if their actions were done without malice? How about Butuan Bishop Pueblos' letter to former president GMA saying "For a brand-new 4x4, as your birthday gift to me, be assured of my constant support."? Or should I need to update and upgrade my ever-trusted dictionary?

     Next is Rafa, the arrogant coño boy trying to be funny. If only we just hear the news without seeing it, we can say that the press and media are only exaggerating things. As usual. 

     But lo and behold, it was televised and recorded! We saw your failed attempt to be waggish. In fact, it turned mischievous.

     But you know what is more dismaying, if not alarming? The "silence" of Cinemalaya 2011 regarding this issue. Certain groups are asking for the removal of Rafa's entry to the festival. If you think it is downright cruel to do so, why not at least offer an official statement? Or are you thankful for the brouhaha that it caused? That old but popular adage that bad publicity is still publicity!

     I am sorry dear readers for this illogical emotion. I know, this is the subjective reality we are facing each day. And life sucks, we know it. But hoping for some things to come in the midst of popular chaos, maybe is not a bad thing. And I am sorry too for writing this long post. I don't have time to write you a short one.

     Yeah, that's a cliché! Bore, bore, bore! :)

What's this?

You are currently reading The Unforgivenz? at our daily bore.

meta

comments powered by disqus

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...